What We're Made Of . Cacao
This week, we're exploring the powerful health benefits of indulgent but anti-oxidant rich cacao. The healthier relative of cocoa, raw cacao is made by cold-pressing unroasted cocoa beans, which preserves the beans nutritional content; cocoa on the other hand is heavily processed, roasted at high temperatures and has a lot of added sugars added to it, zapping away the natural health benefits.
Our best-selling Cacao & Cashew blend is packed with raw cacao powder and cacao nibs (made from crushed cacao beans) as well as creamy cashews, coconut palm sugar and pink Himalayan salt. It’s indulgent but staggeringly simple in its nutritive value. Here’s a brief summary of the main health benefits of this tasty Amazonian superfood:
- Unlike your regular chocolate bar, raw cacao is supercharged with magnesium. We need magnesium for almost every process that takes place inside our bodies, but namely it benefits our blood pressure, muscle function, bone density and energy production.
- Flavonoids, (not only found in red wine!), are powerful antioxidants, can help reduce inflammation and assist in our cardiovascular health as well. Magnesium has tonnes of flavonoids.
- One of the highest sources of plant-based iron known to man, cacao contains nutrients essential for muscle movement, growth, brain functionality and maintaining an active metabolism.
- Cacao contains the mood improver 'anandamide' – known as the liss molecule - which creates a feeling of euphoria.
- Cacao boosts the brain levels of serotonin, the feel good brain chemical - when women are experiencing PMS, serotonin levels drop dramatically. Another good reason to enjoy Cacao & Cashew at breakfast, lunch, dinner... The benefits of cacao are proven to boost the brain levels of calming hormones and restore feelings of well-being.
- Containing over 700 compounds and complex antioxidants found in cacao including polyphenols, it can help reduce ‘bad cholesterol’ and prevent hardening of the arteries.
Raw cacao pretty much sums up the phrase “have your cake and eat it”, because not only is it beneficial for our health but it tastes darn good too. Make your next chocolate-for-breakfast experience count and give our Cacao & Cashew flavour a whirl.