Where To Go Rock Climbing In London
From March to October, getting outdoors for a spot of exercise is relatively easy; besides unpredictable rain and the odd frosty start, weather conditions are generally on our side. During the Winter months, things aren't quite so simple - alongside plummeting temperatures, there are also dark mornings/evenings to contend with and sometimes, we just can't face the gym. Not to mention the fact that we'd all rather be tucked up at home binge-watching the latest Netflix series with a warming bowl of stew.
One of our favourite weekend pursuits guaranteed to keep you warm, dry and feeling energised is rock climbing; take a quick sweep through your Instagram feed and you'll soon notice everyone else is at it too. As well as being physically demanding (you'll definitely feel the burn the next day), rock climbing - or more specifically bouldering - has also been proved to help treat low mood.
To keep it simple, bouldering is a style of climbing without ropes or harnesses, usually on large boulders or small to medium artificial rock walls. It's climbing in it's rawest form and is a brilliant physical and mental challenge.
So, for those days when you're feeling less than fantastic, we've compiled a list of the best places in London to get out and up... Our advice? Set aside a few hours, get some comfy (not too baggy!) clothes on and grab your mates for an afternoon - it's the workout you won't even know you're doing.
THE ARCH // Bermondsey
- Good for: all skill levels, lessons, food & drink
VAUXWALL CLIMBING CENTRE // Vauxhall
- Good for: different routes, value for money, location
THE CLIMBING HANGAR // Parsons Green
- Good for: adults and children, friendly staff, atmosphere
HACKNEY BOULDER PROJECT // Hackney Wick
- Good for: intimate atmosphere, local coffee, climbing training
CASTLE CLIMBING // Green Lanes
- Good for: facilities, different routes, friendly staff, food & drink
MILE END CLIMBING WALL // Mile End
- Good for: trickier routes, value for money, atmosphere
STRONGHOLD CLIMBING // Tottenham
- Good for: the largest indoor bouldering space in London, challenging routes, good coffee
WESTWAY CLIMBING // White City
- Good for: quiet morning climbs, friendly & helpful staff, variety of routes
JAGS CLIMBING WALL // Dulwich
- Good for: weekend climbing
WHITE SPIDER // Kingston
- Good for: variety of routes, size, facilities