Moroccan Chickpea & Monkfish Stew
We've team up with recipe delivery box service Mindful Chef to bring you a series of exclusive Autumnal recipes, designed with the best of seasonal produce in mind. Last week we shared their delicious celeriac and herb rosti and this week, the team have created a hearty Moroccan chickpea and monkfish stew recipe. This warming, spiced dish contains monkfish tail, fibre-rich chickpeas, spinach and chunks of roasted sweet potato. Sweet potato is generally available all year round but grows best between late October to December. It is packed with beta-carotene and vitamin C, both of which boost the immune system.
1 1/2 tbsp oil
180g cherry tomatoes
1 red onion
1 tsp ras el hanout
1 vegetable stock cube
2 garlic cloves
2 x 140g monkfish tail (skin off)
300g butternut squash
Large handful of flat-leaf parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 180C / gas mark 4. Finely chop the garlic and thinly slice the onion. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and roughly chop the parsley. Slice the monkfish into bite-sized pieces.
2. Peel and cut the squash into 1cm cubes. Place on a baking tray and toss with 1/2 tbsp oil and a sprinkle of sea salt. Place in the oven for 15-20 mins, turning halfway through cooking.
3. Meanwhile, heat a large pan on a medium heat with 1 tbsp oil and add the garlic and onion for 5 mins until softened. Then stir in the ras el hanout and cherry tomatoes and cook for a further 2 mins.
4. Meanwhile, boil a kettle and dissolve the vegetable stock cube in 200ml boiling water. Drain the chickpeas.
5. Add the chickpeas, vegetable stock and spinach to the pan with the vegetables and cook for 5 mins until the sauce has reduced slightly.
6. Season the monkfish pieces with sea salt and black pepper and add to the pan. Stir the monkfish into the sauce and place a lid on the pan. Simmer for 8-10 mins until the fish is cooked through. Stir in the roasted squash and half of the parsley.
7. Spoon the Moroccan chickpea and monkfish stew into two warm bowls and scatter over the remaining parsley.
Discover more Mindful Chef recipes here.