Fluffy quinoa crepes
These days, no weekend brunch spread is complete without pancakes. No longer reserved exclusively for Pancake Day - the one day we would all eagerly await, as if it couldn't have taken longer to come back around - they're now are often the main component.
Regardless of when you're last pancake experience was, chances are you're still excited for Shrove Tuesday to roll around. Especially now we're sharing with you such a healthy, protein rich, nutritious option to make the day more virtuous than ever. Simple, quick to make, and waiting patiently to be smothered in your choice of toppings/spreads/fruits/vegetables. Enjoy!
100g Cooked White Quinoa
1 Egg (2 will work if you want a higher protein option)
100ml Nut or Plant Based Milk (I like to use pure almond milk)
40g Buckwheat Flour (can also use quinoa flour or any other gluten free flour you have to hand)
1. Simply measure all of the ingredients out and add them to a blender. We like to add the wet ingredients first so the flour and quinoa don't create a paste around the blade.
2. Blend on a slow to medium speed for 30 seconds, then increase to the highest speed for 1 minute, until the mixture is entirely smooth and creamy and there are no lumps of quinoa.
3. Heat about 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil in a frying pan and use a large spoon, ladle or jug to pour the batter onto the pan.
4. Rotate the pan to allow the batter to spread as widely and evenly as possible. If it is too thick, the pancake may not cook through. Cook over a medium flame and carefully slide a spatula around and underneath the edges of the pancake to ensure the mixture doesn't stick to the pan.
5. When the underside feels cooked or when the edges begin to brown, flip the pancake and cook on the other side. You may want to flip several times to ensure the pancakes are good evenly.
6. Serve immediately and enjoy with raw honey or other natural sweeteners of choice, fresh citrus juice (lemon, lime, blood orange), superfood powders, homemade nutella or chocolate spread, nut butters or a selection of savoury toppings such as avocado, tahini, vegetables, nutritional yeast, pesto and hummus.